Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Man and the Rock

It all happened on a warm spring night: I was sleeping in my bedroom after a long day of work. when suddenly the bedroom was filled with light and the Savior was in front of me. He said that he had a great work for me to do, and he showed me a big rock. after that, he explained to me that the work would be to push against the rock with all my strength. That was the Idea. For many days I tried hard, day after day, my shoulders pressing against the cold surface of the rock.
Pushing with all my strength, I retired to my bed in the same state; TIRED, DEPRESSED, WITHERED, FEELING that they day was spent in vain. Seeing that I started to show signs of discouragement, Satan decided to enter the scene, and put thoughts in my mind such as: "Why an I torturing myself like this? I've been pushing this rock everyday and I haven't even budged it one millimeter." i started to think that my work was impossible: that I wasn't worthy: that I was a useless servant, because I couldn't move the rock. these thoughts depressed me even more, so I started thinking: "Why do I punish myself like this, I will only make a minimal effort. That will be enough." That's what I was planning to do until I decided to take my sorrow to the Lord. "Lord" I said "I've been working hard for a long time in your service. i put all my strength in the work you commanded me to do. Even though after all this time, I couldn't move the rock not even a millimeter. What is wrong? Where am I failing?"
The Lord answered, "My son, a long time ago when I asked you to serve me, you accepted. I commanded you to push the rock will all of your strength and that you have done. Never once did I tell you that I hoped you would move it. No, not alone. the work was for you to push, and now you come to me without strength, convinced that you have failed, and ready to leave it. But....have you really failed? Your arms are stronger, your back is strengthened and bronzed from the sun, your hands are calloused from the constant pressure, and your legs more firm. Through the opposition you have grown. Your ability to over come is stronger than before, and even though you didn't move the rock, you come to me with a broken heart and your body faith. My beloved son, I will move the rock. Your work was to be obedient and push, exercise faith and trust in my wisdom, and that my beloved son is what you have done." -WoongHyun Jason Choi

"It may seem impossible to do what we've been called to do...But we're going to do it anyway"-Boyd K. Packer

1 comment:

Dana Powell said...

I really like it! And I love YOU! Mom